MODALS AND SEMI MODALS

by - Sunday, November 21, 2021

We use Modal verbs to talk about an ability/a duty/a need /a necessity/wanting.

Modal verbs behave verydifferently from normal verbs.

Here are some important differences:

HOW?


1. Modal verbs are always followed by a verb in

its base form.


EXAMPLES:

He can speak Chinese.


Compare: I speak Chinese.

He speaks Chinese

You may take the book to school.

She may take the book to school.


Compare: You take the books to school.

She takes the books to school.

2. Modal verbs do not take "-s" in the third

person in the present simple.


EXAMPLES:

• He speaks Chinese.

• He can speak Chinese. (NOT- He cans speak...)

• She eats a sandwich at 9:30

• She may eat a sandwich at 9:30.

3. You use "not" to make modal verbs

negative, even in Simple Present and

Simple Past.

(We don’t use the helping verb “do”)


EXAMPLES:

He should not be late.

They might not come to the party.

Compare: I don’t like to be late.

I cannot eat any more cakes.

I don’t eat carrot cakes.

4. Many modal verbs cannot be used in the

past tenses or the future tenses.


EXAMPLES:


He will can go with us. WRONG


She must studied very hard. WRONG


1. will- will not - won’t


We use this modal to speak about future actions that

we are sure/ convinced about.

WILL- WILL NOT(=WON’T)


Today is Tuesday. Tomorrow will

be Wednesday.

= I know it because this is a known fact.


We will not be in the office

tomorrow.

= I know it because he is going on vacation.


2. CAN – COULD –BE ABLE TO


We use these modals to express:

• General ability/ disability

• possibility / impossibility

• opportunity

• Permission

• request

I can walk.

= I have the general ability to do

the action of walking.


I can’t hear you, it is too noisy.

=I don’t have the ability to hear what you

are saying because of the noise.


3. MAY

=future possibility/get permission

I may choose to wear the red dress to the party.

=I have two dresses. There is a chance that I will

choose to wear the red dress and not the blue

one.


• Today, he may come on time.

=Although usually he comes late,

There is a possibility that today he will come on

time.


4. MIGHT

We may come on time, but if you miss the bus, we might

be late.

=I plan to come on time and this is why I I want to

catch the 7:15 bus.

If I catch the 7:30 bus, I can come on time or not,

I’m not sure.


• If you advertise on the Internet you might get a lot of

spam to your e-mail box.

=Although you don’t want to get spam, there’s a

risk that you will get it.

5. SHOULD

If you want to be a champion you should practice every

day.

=You don’t have to practice but then, you will

not get better.


• When you make a cheese cake, you should first check that

you have cheese.

-or else, it will not be a cheese cake

You May Also Like

0 comments